Utah Tech University (UT) recognizes that learners in higher education come from varied backgrounds with a wide variety of life experiences that might qualify for college course credit. At UT, our students have multiple pathways toward receiving credit for prior learning. You can learn more about these pathways from your program advisor, the UT catalog and UT Policy 523.
Some restrictions apply to all UT prior learning credit.
- Only matriculated UT students are eligible to receive UT prior learning credit.
- All credit by examination or for prior learning is graded as “Pass” rather than a letter grade.
- In compliance with accreditation standards, no more than 25% of credit by examination and prior learning (up to 15 credits of experiential learning credit) can be applied toward a degree (15 credits for associate’s, 30 for bachelor’s).
- Not all UT courses are eligible for credit by examination or prior learning.
- The Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio for experiential learning may not be used for General Education courses.
- Prior learning credit cannot be awarded for courses where a student has already received a grade.